On December 15, 1866, under the sponsorship of the East Alabama Presbytery, a commission from New Harmony Presbyterian Church near Waverly organized a Presbyterian church in Opelika. Facing the hardships of Reconstruction, the new church in a town of 500 relied on supply preachers for several years, holding worship services in the Baptist church.
For more than a century, Presbyterians in Opelika have stood for the foundational Christian tenet that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the very Word of Almighty God, verbally inspired and without error. Their overarching commitment to evangelical truth stated in the doctrines of the Protestant Reformation compelled two-thirds of the congregation to change its affiliation in 1973 (now the Presbyterian Church in America).
The past decade has seen the addition of a high school ministry and major improvements to the facilities and grounds. By God’s grace, Trinity consecrated a new sanctuary and church facility in September 2014, following a devastating fire. Trinity remains committed to the central importance of the Word, sacraments, and prayer as God’s primary means to bring us to faith and grow us in grace. We invite you to join us as we worship the living God.
Trinity Presbyterian Church is a congregation of 270 members whose desire is to glorify God as He uses us to build one another to maturity in Christ through worship, fellowship, education, evangelism, and ministry.
There are many ways to get involved with Trinity Presbyterian Church in Opelika, AL. Please join us for Sunday worship, a Bible study group, or other opportunities for prayer, fellowship, and service.
See our calendar for more details.